Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hillary Clinton dishes to Glamour Magazine

AP
Glamour Magazine went along with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when she traveled to Africa in June and talked to her about her focus on women and children, whats next for her, and her future legacy. You can read more about her trip over at Glamour.com or check out an insert below.


GLAMOUR: You probably have to walk into a lot of rooms full of sexist guys. How do you work with leaders like that?SECRETARY CLINTON: You just have to figure out what you’re trying to accomplish. I often try, in private discussions with leaders, to press them on women’s rights. For the first few years, I kept a running tally of how many women were in meetings with me. It was always fascinating, who would bring women and what roles they would have. And who never showed up with women at all…. It’s wonderful to go to a country like Brazil, which elected a woman president [last year]. I made a big effort to go to her inauguration, because I know how hard it is for a woman to be elected.I think my political background has been a very big advantage in my job—I understand the pressures of politics on leaders…. Sometimes I push them to do more than they think is possible. But not impossible. So I’ve told leaders, “Look, I was in politics. I’ve won elections and lost elections. And it’s not the end of the world…. Do what’s best for your country, and you will be remembered well.”GLAMOUR: You’ve said you plan to step down in 2013, even if President Obama is reelected. Glamour.com reader Jan Gibson of Bethesda, Maryland, writes, “I’d like to know what Hillary is planning to do after her stint at the State Department.”SECRETARY CLINTON: So would Hillary! I haven’t started thinking about that. I will probably rest up, because I’ve had 20 years with no break.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...