Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison retiring next year


Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) announced today that she will not seek reelection in 2012 and will instead return to Texas.

"I am announcing today that I will not be a candidate for re-election in 2012. "That should give the people of Texas ample time to consider who my successor will be. When my current term is up, I will have served Texas for 19 years in the United States Senate. I intended to leave this office long before now, but I was persuaded to continue in order to avoid disadvantage to our state. The last two years have been particularly difficult, especially for my family, but I felt it would be wrong to leave the Senate during such a critical period," stated Kay Bailey Hutchison in statement.

Sen. Hutchison is the most senior female Republican currently serving in the U.S. Senate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...